Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab No. 4 by Gaivs


In a valiant attempt to discover the trust of the average man (or woman), I went out into the world, armed with a handydandy notepad and pencil. With my superb acting skillz and pretty face, I asked 50 random passerby - whether they were in the Pickle Jar, going to class, or having their morning coffee - if I could pretty oh pretty please borrow their cell phone for just uno secondo. It turned out that 29 of those fifty responded with a ready, "sure thing," or "yea... just don't eat up my minutes." They remaining 21 either shot back with a nasty "NO!" or, in some cases, a slightly more colourful answer. In actuality, some members of the 'no' group responded with a leeringly inquisitive "why?" which I also took as a signal of lacking trust.
Regardless, that 29 out of 50 is a solid 58%... If we take cell phones as the ultimatum of confidence in this day and age, that's a good deal more than the national average of 30% who say that people can be trusted. Fascinating indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture. And what a creative way to approach this lab. I really liked the question you asked people and I likes your analysis of the whole thing. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete